According to the law No.1 of 1974 concerning marriage in Indonesia Canticle 2(1): “Marriage is legitimate if it has been performed according to the laws of the respective religious beliefs of the parties concerned”.
Generally, person of any nationality who would like to marry in Indonesia hold one of the five religions recognized in Indonesia (Christian, Catholic, Buddhist, Hinduism and Muslim). Marriages under Indonesian law are performed by religious minister and the catatan sipil (Civil Registrar) or by the Kantor Urusan Agama (Directorate of Islamic Religion Affairs).
General requirements on marriage formalities in Indonesia
1. Widower must present a copy of death certificate of the former spouse. If there has been a divorce, the decree must present a copy of divorced certificate.
2. Letter / Certificate of No Impediment from consulate general within Indonesia or from your civil affairs office in your country certifying that the couple has no objection to getting marriage in Indonesia.
3. Copy of Birth certificate
4. Copy of passport
5. 8 (eight) pieces of photographs size 4 x 6 (groom in the right side)
6. Other requirements according to Indonesia marriage laws
For the issue of the Letter / Certificate of No Impediment to marriage by consular representative, some consulars may required the presence of the couple.
But for some consulars, as long as all the documents needed are completed and received by Wedding Organizer, the Wedding Organizer/Planner could represent the couples for processing the letter in Consular representatives in Bali or either in Jakarta.
The following countries have consulates or consular representatives in Bali:
United States of America
Other countries outside the above list, the Consulates or Consular representatives are located in Jakarta and all the documents processing and the Letter / Certificate of No Impediment will be issue there.